NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread

Go down 
+9
OverlordJ
silckenSoul
uncertainHavoc
tekkenfreak4
Metafiction
Ralte
royalPawn
Sandstriker
JakeMorph
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:16 am

JakeMorph wrote:
I would have thought True Neutral would have easily been the most obvious alignment for a Death-based character though, Sand.
It probably is, I just usually have more of a leaning towards good characters.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8UxJkV3nW8UJc_wtWpIRw
JakeMorph

JakeMorph

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:24 am

That's fair enough I guess. But the thing with True Neutral is that you're allowed to have 'leanings' but when the time comes you can really do whatever you want.
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:37 am

JakeMorph wrote:
That's fair enough I guess. But the thing with True Neutral is that you're allowed to have 'leanings' but when the time comes you can really do whatever you want.
Sounds good I guess.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 3:45 am

1) I only edited the second and third post in this thread recently, nothing wrong with missing it.

2) Jake, I remembered that scene though I didn't count it as a fight, more like a whacky brawl or something...

3) Artificers are a thing, they are from the Eberron Campain Setting though so I'm unsure if they'd be a good idea... Link to the DnD tools page about them

4) About the Cleric. As said, you could play as a Lawful Good Cleric of Wee Jas. In that case you'd have the ability to Turn Undead (aka, weaken and destroying them) and cast cure spells though your domain spells would still include spells that create undead. However, you'll get two domains so you can just take the spell of your other domain for these slots. That would create a Good Cleric of death who opposes undead however he can. Does that sound good to you?

5) Sorry mather but a bard? For Droog? Maybe that's just me but Bards don't seem calm and classy enough... And again, there is no real reason that Shaula's character HAS to be related to Droog.

6) If you are okay with being neutral, you'll have to choose between Lawful and True Neutral. As I said, if you're Lawful Neutral and a follower of Wee Jas, you'll Channel Negative energy and Rebuke Undead, just like an evil cleric would. If you're True Neutral, you can choose, whether you want to channel positive or negative energy. Positive means healing to living, hurting to undead and "Turn Undead", negative meand hurting to living, healing to undead and "Rebuke Undead"

I hope I didn't miss anything important
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 9:39 am

OverlordJ wrote:
5) Sorry mather but a bard? For Droog? Maybe that's just me but Bards don't seem calm and classy enough... And again, there is no real reason that Shaula's character HAS to be related to Droog.

This. Also, DIAMONDS DROOG IS NOT STABBY

that's SLICK

I'm NOT making my character related to him but this needs to be said
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:21 pm

I mean stabby as in using melee weapons, because it's kind of a rare thing for a caster class to actually be built for melee combat.
And what do you mean Bard isn't classy enough, OJ? Bards are the classiest class, that whole class is built around class.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 12:24 pm

Quote :
For each Ability you have a Score which states your competence for that ability. 10-11 is the human "average". 4-5 and below is basically subhuman, while a 16-17 is the pinnacle of man. 18 and beyond is the realm of pure fantasy - so its a good thing we're playing fantasy. In fact, you'll probably notice that your abilities tend to all be above average. That's because DnD is not about average humans, its about heroes.

Quote :
II) Stats are bought from 30 points

In other words, we suck?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:36 pm

In other words, we can be superhuman in one thing, good in one thing and average in everything else. We're pretty fucking amazing.

And I added a lvl 1 version of my gunslinger to Myth-Weavers: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=744287
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:18 pm

30 points for 6 abilities gives an average of 5.
You have a total of 72.
I'm confused. :I
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:39 pm

The base value for each ability is 8, you add to and subtract from that.

Just use this.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:53 pm

The Mather1 wrote:
The base value for each ability is 8, you add to and subtract from that.

Just use this.

OH.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 11:19 pm

Sorry, I thought I linked that somewhere but even if I did, I probably should have made it more clear.

Also, mather, I'd like to see from which source you're getting the Great Musket.

I'd also like to have a bit of a talk about your items in general, but the Great Musket is probably the most important right now.

EDIT:

Okay, so I looked a bit into this.

THIS is currently the only source of your weapon that I was able to find. Given that the DnD wiki is FULL of Homebrew and you shouldn't trust anything from it unless it's page starts with "SRD:" before it's name (which this one doesn't). The Dungeon Master guide includes a Musket BUT that is clearly NOT the weapon you're talking about and has a cost of 500 gp, which a first level character wouldn't even be able to afford on the best possible roll.

Speaking of which, even the source I found puts the cost at 200 gp for your weapon and I'd kind of need to see you roll that, considering that as a Fighter you get 6d4x10 gold, which is an average of 150 and 240 AT BEST.

Other problems include Rapid Relode, which only works for crossbows, though I guess we can figure something out for that and the fact that you apparently don't wear ANY clothes. Which isn't against the rules but will PROBABLY get you in trouble. I'm also kind of curious how heavy/expensive those clips are, because if they weight more then one lb then you'll probably be carrying at least a medium load...

Tell you what, find me a source for your weapon and we'll continue talking.

Last edited by OverlordJ on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 1:50 am

So what stats should I invest in as a cleric? Constitution? Wisdom?
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 2:08 am

Mather, that's the same thing I linked, unless you find any source, as in, the BOOK from which that is, I'll assume that it's homebrew, like most content of that wiki. And if it's homebrew, I'll probably have to say that it's NOT okay.

Sand, Clerics use their Wisdom for their spells, high WIS means you'll have more spells and they'll be stronger. It'll also give you a better Will Save. High CON means you'll have more Hit Points and a better Fortitude Save. High CHA means that your ability to turn undead is stronger.

You should also consider your class skills.

A Cleric gets Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis),
Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge
(religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and
Spellcraft (Int).

If you have no INT modifier and aren't a race that grants you additional skill points then you'll be able to max only TWO of these skills. Concentration is an important skill for a spellcaster who might need to enter combat, Heal is an obviously helpful skill if you want to do some NON-magical healing. A high Knowledge of Religion is kind of expected of a Cleric...
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 2:14 am

Ok then, also, could I possibly be a changeling? While it gives me a -2 in strength and Constitution it gives a +2 in intelligence, wisdom and charisma (also dexterity but meh).

EDIT: So I attempted some stat gaining with the changling modifiers and got this:

STR 6
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 16
WIS 16
CHA 16

Obviously I have horrible strength, but only having thirty points to use s hard when wanting to have things sort of out with stats.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 2:58 am

/sighs

People, you need to be REALLY careful with that wiki. MOST OF IT IS HOMEBREW AND WE WILL NOT BE USING ANY OF THAT.

Changelings are a homebrewed race and we will NOT use them. Even if they weren't, there is no way they wouldn't have level adjustment considering how many bonuses they get.

So no, you could NOT possibly be a changeling.

I can't stretch this enough but ANYTHING you find in this wiki that doesn't start it's page with "SRD:" is likely to be Homebrewed and will NOT be used in our campain.

The closest thing to a Changeling is the Doppleganger race, though they don't get any bonuses, so I don't think you'll be interessted in them.
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 2:59 am

I just wanted to know because it was on the point buy calculator. But ok, I suppose I will just be human.
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 3:03 am

Um... the SRD: Doppleganger claims that it's racial traits are

+2 Strength, +2, Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma...

I'm not sure if I am on the wrong page...

Here's the link if you want to see: linky
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 3:15 am

Okay, I rechecked the sources.

1) I made a minor mix up, there IS a changeling race, though the one you linked is homebrewed, you can find the actual race in the Races of Eberron, they're on page 41. They do not get any bonuses to any stats.

2) Doppleganger on the other hand are as they are on the page you linked, you can find them in the Races of Destiny. Please note their LA of +4
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 3:20 am

What is the purpose of a LA?
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 4:32 am

It is supposed to allow players to play as races that are MUCH stronger then the normal player races and is supposed to help you rebalance it. There ARE ways to make it work in a campain starting at first level but those are... tricky...
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 4:34 am

So... What does it do to affect my character?
Back to top Go down
JakeMorph

JakeMorph

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 6:45 am

I was talking to OJ and from what I mustered it stands for Level Adjustment and I think you don't have class abilites until, say you had +4 LA, level four? I don't actually know, but that's all I can guess at.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 30, 2013 6:55 am

Pretty much. Races and templates that have level adjustement require you to take levels as them before you can take class levels, this is done to balance out certain perks that don't have a responding penalty. Level Adjustement itself is pretty much a class level penalty, so +4 means you have to take 4 levels as the race before you can take a class level, literally meaning you adjust your actual level by +4 compared to what you work with on your sheet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next