NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling

Go down 
+4
IreliVent
Ralte
silckenSoul
Shaula
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Shaula

Shaula

DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling Empty
PostSubject: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 1:27 pm

[First thread, and the three OPs with all sorts of useful info here.]

"If you don't like just Kal, you could call him Kalli, or Lil Kal, he's so going to love that last one"
I don't dislike it, the problem is that I'll keep thinking of the SA character instead of you
But yeah Kalli is good
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Shaula wrote:
"If you don't like just Kal, you could call him Kalli, or Lil Kal, he's so going to love that last one"
I don't dislike it, the problem is that I'll keep thinking of the SA character instead of you
But yeah Kalli is good

Hehe, right. Sorry, I didn't mean to say it like that. But you get the point. ^^
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 pm

o and u need a flint and steel to light the oil/torches no matter what light source u pick
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 2:31 pm

I think you might only be able to join while I started the session, but I can't do that right now, you'll have to wait a little longer. As for light sources, having one is helpful, but don't spend too much on it. Clerics do get "Light" as a 0 level spell and later, a handfree light source isn't that expensive. A common choice is an Ioun Stone without any effect (which costs 25 gp and does nothing but float around your head) that you get someone to cast Continual Flame on (It has a material component of 50 gp and can be cast by 2 level Wizards, so you could ask an NPC to cast it for you for 110 gp. Or you could wait untill you reach level 5 and cast it yourself).
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 2:41 pm

what about the subscription thing for roll20 oj?

if u dont want me too thats fine i just figured itd be useful

also im tempted to buy a resource pack that lets me be a warforged with a big sword
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Eunomic Zenith wrote:
Hi Ralte! I'm fine, thank you. ^_^ (And please, call me eZ/EZ, it's supposed to be eunomicZenith but I had to type it like that because of a couple email addresses that didn't work.)

Okay, eZ/EZ I try to remember that.

Ralte wrote:
But what about his mother?
Did Kallistos leave her behind without nothing?
Also it seems likely for me that those criminals from that organisation may emerge for some revenge.

Eunomic Zenith wrote:
As for the criminals.. They've probably been hunting for Kallistos for the past years. His father was a decently important person. I have a suggestion: maybe Urmelena saved Kallistos from said criminals once, and then he felt in debt and helped her with some slavers, and now they stick together so that Kallistos is protected and she has an ally? Let me know if you think this would work!

Hmmm….
A little cliché… How about this one:
The criminals weren’t able to detect him but he detected them and he could have sneaked away until Urmelena tried to arrest them for something not related to Kallistos.
She can manage them in a fight until one of them takes some guy as a hostage.
They try to flee that way but Kallistos would beg to differ and backstabs the guy who has the hostage.
From then on the two could become friends and helping each other.

And thank you for answering my questions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Ralte wrote:
The criminals weren’t able to detect him but he detected them and he could have sneaked away until Urmelena tried to arrest them for something not related to Kallistos.
They try to flee that way but Kallistos would beg to differ and backstabs the guy who has the hostage.

That sounds quite better! :D Awesome. That's all, hm?

By the way, on the source of light issue, I decided not to bring any, because many members of our group already have one and Kal has the Light spell anyway, if eventually needed.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 3:28 pm

gd plan, im only carrying mine cause i would have needed it pre meet up with the group and i didnt have any light options
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 8:51 pm

Eunomic Zenith wrote:
Ralte wrote:

Probably.... Yes.
I think this will also make the difference more visible between the two.
But if you or anyone else has something to add or other suggestions please post them.

Question: When get Clerics the ability to resurrect the dead? Which level is needed?

Also should Kallistos have been present at the time when Urmelena met Drea or not?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Eunomic Zenith wrote:
Ralte wrote:

By the way, on the source of light issue, I decided not to bring any, because many members of our group already have one and Kal has the Light spell anyway, if eventually needed.
Actually, you have low-light vision, so you can still see pretty well so long as you aren't in complete darkness. If the moon is out, you can see just as well during night as you can during the day.

My Darkvision sure is handy though. I don't need to bother with light for any purpose other than limiting my line of sight to 60ft. if there's no proper illumination. Makes for a good advantage to stealth as well since I don't need to alert my enemies to see in total darkness.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 9:18 pm

yes and when hes in dungeons n shit itll be true darkness or near enough so its a good plan to have lightsources
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 9:33 pm

Dungeons aren't really as common as you'd think though. If they were, the Favored Terrain Ranger class feature wouldn't really be a thing. Usually there's some degree of light most places you have a reason to be.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 1:56 am

Mather has a very good point, the game is called "Dungeons and Dragons" but neither dungeons nor dragons are THAT common, especially if you don't purposly go look for them. I mean, think about it, right now you are in a city. You might need to fight some muggers at night but it likely won't be COMPLETLY dark. Quests there would likely be about city stuff, so no reason to go underground for now. Eventually you might get a quest to get something from old ruins but those quests aren't that common for common people. I mean, think about it, how often does Random Joe need something that can only be found in a dark dungeon far underground? If you move towards the city near the forest, you might need to fight some beasts and stuff, but again, you'd still be over ground. Only if you search for some caves you might get underground enough for there to be natural complete darkness.

And even then, complete darkness is usually the result of magic, because even underground there are things like freaking glowing mushrooms.

Having NO access to ANY light is dumb but light is not nearly as important as you might think.

As for the revival thing, the most "common" revival spell is the Raise Dead spell, a 5th level spell, so Clerics get access to it at level 9. Revenance is a fourth level spell but only works on a recently died creature and only works for a few minutes before they die again. Druids get two 4th level revival spell (one reincarnating you as a random race, the other only working RIGHT after you died) but yeah, as far as I know, the real revival action starts at level 9.

So don't count on it, bub ;)
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 6:09 pm

hey oj is there anyway to improve my will save? its really shitty xD
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Ralte wrote:

Also should Kallistos have been present at the time when Urmelena met Drea or not?

ralte i think youve made a mistake there, urmelena and drea dont know eachother

urmelena and shadowskulk do

unless i missed smth
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Ralte wrote:

I honestly don't know/remember how/when did Urmelena and Drea meet! Also well, see the above post.

The Mather1 wrote:
Actually, you have low-light vision, so you can still see pretty well so long as you aren't in complete darkness. If the moon is out, you can see just as well during night as you can during the day.

Well, that's great. :) One less reason to need lighting.

I wanted to ask, what are we waiting for before we can play? If it's a matter of finding a time where we're all free, can we organize schedules and stuff?
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 1:44 am

Eunomic Zenith wrote:
Ralte wrote:

I honestly don't know/remember how/when did Urmelena and Drea meet! Also well, see the above post.

It was once talked about but honestly, there is no reason why the two of them should know eachother, especially since it was decided to drop the "Urmelena and Drea are already friends" idea.

Honestly, Ralte, just keep your backstory seperated from Drea and if you guys end up becoming friends, make it happen via RP, okay?

As for your Will save, Silck, there are a couple ways, the most obvious and probably worst is to spend a feat on "Iron Will", which gives you a +2 to your Will save (Though I'll admit that a Warforged having an "Iron" Will is kind of funny in my mind). There are a couple of feats that instead allow you to key your Will save of a different stat then Wisdom. The problem with that idea is that the flavor for Keen Intellect (Replaces it with Int) is that you get it from an ancestor (though it could be arguably be a "spiritual" ancestor) and, more importantly, ancestor feats can only be chosen at first level (Which means you couldn't be Mithral). The feat Force of Personality makes it that for most cases, your Will save is based on your Charisma instead, but your Charisma isn't the best either, in fact, that'd make it worse. By taking TWO feats OR taking two levels as a Warforged Paladin, you could add your Constitution to your Will saves (in case of the feats instead of Wisdom, for the Paladin in addition to Wisdom), both options that would give you decent results but are pretty difficult to pull off. I mean, the feats would mean you get to do it by level 6, which kind of sucks. You could take a level in a class that has a good Will save, that'd give you a +2 to it as well. Not the best option either though.

Luckily for you, you can instead simply remember that you are a Warblade and pick the Moment of Perfect Mind Manuver, which lets you replace a Will save with a Concentration check. Sure, you can't CONSTANTLY do it, but it's both the easiest and best option for you. You have a freaking +7 bonus on Concentration checks for a reason, buddy ;)

(And would you look at that, it's already listed on your sheet, you need to remember stuff like that ;) )

EDIT:

Why does your sheet say that you get a base Reflex save of 2 though? Warblades only have a good Fortitude save, you only get your Dex and the bonus from your Battle Clarity
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 7:45 am

I think it was from warforged? Idk lemme check that when I get back home from the car boot sale
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 9:53 am

It's not from being Warforged, and even if Warforged would give you a bonus on Reflex, it shouldn't be a base save bonus, that's only the bonus you get from your class. I think you probably didn't update your base saves after you switched away from the Ranger, because THEY get both Fortitude AND Reflex.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 10:28 am

yeh thats probs it ill change it now
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 12:10 pm

Hello EZ! Glad to have you aboard. :D

OverlordJ wrote:
One way it is often compared is that Int is about book smart while Wis is about street smart. Also, your character has average Wisdom and high Int, so it's not like his Wisdom is low or anything.

But yeah, defining exactly what one stat can or can't do is a bit tricky with the mental stats.

Maybe you could tell us a bit more about what you want your character to do that you now worry his Wis might be too low?

Well, mostly Holmeslike deductiony stuff, which by its very definition means following a set of universal laws and thus sounds like an Int thing, but it also involves a lot of figuring out people's motivations and thinking, which seems to lean more toward Wis.
But it is roleplaying, so I suppose it's only a problem if one of us feels it is. It's just that if I am bending the rules, I'd like to know I'm doing so and make sure everyone is ok with it.

Last edited by royalPawn on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 12:17 pm

Yeah, that's definitely WIS, as it has much more to do with psychology (Sense Motive) and perception (Spot, Listen).
Apart from his plethora of book knowledge, Holmes mostly used WIS over INT, as he wouldn't search for clues, he would spot them as he was thinking about what the culprit would've done.
Also Wis can give you Profession(Investigator).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 12:30 pm

royalPawn wrote:
Hello EZ! Glad to have you aboard. :D

Hello there RP! :D Hehe, nice to meet you! You're our wizard, huh? Aww yeah, spellcaster buds! :D
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 1:52 pm

A Detective needs a combination of all three mental stats. Most Int related skills are only secondary to a Detective (Though things like Knowledge (Local), which includes laws, might be a good idea and Search can be used to find small things and hidden doors and stuff like that). Most of the skills you'd need would fall under Wis or Cha though. Most notably Sense Motive and Spot for Wisdom and Gather Information for Charisma.

In fact, I made a pair of NPCs who work as private detectives in the City. The skills I focused on were Diplomacy, Gather Information, Search, Spot, Listen and Sense Motive, with a little bit of other skills to balance them out. They might not be the most Sherlok-like Detectives, but they are decent detectives. A good Holmes should probably also focus a bit on Bluff as well.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 2:15 pm

niiiiiice

and oj i notice u havent replied to eZ asking about when we are staring, im a lil interested in that too

do we have a definite date for when we are good to begin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling Empty

Back to top Go down

DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling
Page 1 of 18Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next