NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling

Go down 
+4
IreliVent
Ralte
silckenSoul
Shaula
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 7:10 pm

It might sound odd but that's the price for an UNEQUIPPED NPC if you follow the Arms and Equipment guide. They cost 2 sp per level or 4 sp per level if they are mounted. So yeah, the price in the DMG speaks about 1st level Warriors and it says that the pricse for the hirelings "do not include materials, tools, or weapons", so I'd say they follow the same rules, that's the cost for the person, you either need to pay extra if they come with equipment (in which case it's up to the NPC how much money they want) or lend them the equipment.

In any case, that makes the cost of a mercenary of third level for a month at least 18 gp plus any equipment plus any food and water they might require for a trip through the desert. And frankly, I prefer to RP something like hireing an NPC, I don't like just following a simple table like that.

EDIT: P.S. Warriors are people NOT specially trained for combat, they are just "a strong, stout combatant without the specialized training and finesse of a fighter, the survival and outdoor skills of the barbarian or ranger, or the sophistication and religious focus of a paladin"

So it's 1 sp for nontrained noncombat hirelings, 2 sp for nontrained combat hirelings and 3 sp for trained noncombat hirelings.

A Mecenary with levels in a class other then Warrior would require more money then a Warrior as well (PC classes cost gp per day instead of sp per day, so they'd cost ten times as much).
Back to top Go down
IreliVent

IreliVent

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 pm

Ah, I missed the bit about equipment, In light of this knowledge I won't be hiring an npc warrior.

I've also put my spells known in a google doc here (mythweaver's system for keeping track of spells known is an atrocity). Spells known are in dark green, spells identified are in light green. I still haven't decided on my last cantrip.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 9:57 pm

Hmm, Power Word Pain, eh? Neat choice, one of the few spells that basically scale backwards, haha.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 3:05 pm

Well, I had hoped I could avoid the double post but oh well.

I need to ask you guys something.

You see, many people, GMs and players alike, suggest that Power Word Pain should be weakened. I am fairly indifferent about it but considering that a common DnD rule is "If you use an over powered tactic, your GM will make you encounter enemies that use that tactic as well" most people say they prefer a weaker version of PWP, because getting killed in one hit is much worse then being able to kill something in one hit is good.

For those who don't know what PWP does, it's a first level spell that only needs verbal components (that is to say, as long as you can talk, you can cast it, even if you are unable to move for example) and that targets one living creature within 25 ft, without a save or an attack roll or anything, so it's basically a certain hit.

It then deals 1d6 points of damage for a number of turns depending on the number of Hit Points the creature had when it got hit with the spell. As long as the creature has 50 or fewer hit points, it lasts for 4d4 rounds. In other words, it deals 4d4d6 points of damage, no save. As a rule of tumb, players probably won't have 50 hit points untill level 5 at least, Wizards and the likes probably much longer. 4d4d6 damage deals an average of 35 points of damage.

The damage of course takes a while to be fully dealt, but there isn't really any way to STOP the spell, once it's taken effect. You can of course spend a lot of healing, to prevent the person from dying, but it's a lot of trouble considering it's a first level spell.

And as I said, a character dying is usually a bigger deal then an enemies dying, so most people think the spell should be nerfed to protect PLAYERS.

Some suggest that the spell simply shouldn't be a first level spell (Most say it should be third or even fourth level). Others suggest that the Hit Points limit should be reduced (Right now the spell has it's full effect for 50 or less, no effect for above 100 and reduced effects in between, some people suggest to reduce each step by 25, which would also make it more similar to the other low level Power Word spells). As I said, I am indifferent myself, it's up to you guys to decide.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 3:49 pm

As a Hearthstone player I'm morally opposed to this spell by default. mspa

But seriously, that damage is ridiculous, what the hell. My best damage spell deals 7 average, and that's with 2 ranged touch attacks. Though I don't really know how many hitpoints our average enemy will have so maybe it doesn't even matter that much?
Personally I'd rather it be replaced with a different damage spell but if it doesn't impact the game too much (say it's usually only used once per day tops) I guess it's fine.
I don't like the argument about protecting the players though. D&D is an RPG, not Characters vs NPCs the boardgame.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 4:37 pm

As I said, I don't really mind whether or not the spell gets weakened, but yeah, especially in the early levels that spell can be crazy good.

And the player protecting thing is mainly because PWP is even more deadly against people then against enemies.

As a simple example, lets say you fight three wild animals. PWP will certainly kill one of them, but it'll take a couple of rounds before the animals actually dies from it, so the animal will keep fighting for a few more rounds. PWP doesn't actually remove the creature from combat. And whether or not the animal dies after it killed you doesn't really help you much. On the other hand, if you, say, run into a Kobold Sorcerer and they hit one of you guys with PWP, you might still win the fight but killing the Kobold doesn't stop the spell so you'll be forced to pump a lot of healing spells into the one that got hit with PWP or they die, which would suck for the player.

Compare the same situation to another incredibly powerful level one spell, Sleep.

Against the three wolves, it'll likely knock out one or maybe two, and while they aren't dead, they also stop attacking you right away and killing a sleeping wolf is MUCH easier as well. Meanwhile, against the Kobold, if they use Sleep against you, it might knock out some of the group, but as long as the rest of the group still manages to kill the Kobold, the people will wake up again and won't have to worry about it.

Most GMs follow a policy not to use mean spells against the players unless the players use those spells as well. The general rule is that the more exploitive the players get, the more likely is the GM to either send explotive things against them OR sends things that are immune to that exploit against them. If you always stop time just before combat beginns and kill all enemies before they even draw their weapons, chances are you'll run into a wizard with the same strategy or into some Quaruts who want to have a word with them about meddling with the flow of time too much.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 8:05 pm

id rather not have op spells thrown against me if im getting reduced healing by literally every single healing spell thrown my way

personally PWP sounds way op i think it needs to be nerfed, either by upping level or decreasing the hp boundaries
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 9:28 pm

As odd as it might sounds, I don't think it's OP, it IS really deadly though.

Like, at the early levels, a Wizard can end a fight all by themself with a single casting of Sleep, if they get a little lucky. THAT is a spell some might consider OP. PWP is great for killing, if you have a way to avoid getting killed yourself while the spell is slowly killing them.

And I probably won't send it towards you, I prefer my enemies to be more creative then that. That is not to say it'll never happen, but I usually don't TRY to kill of players. That is not to say that you CAN'T die, just that I usually don't make special plans to purposly kill of one or more of you guys.

Plus, depending on the way you play, you might very well encounter a lot of constructs (if you search for the crypt a lot) or many undeads (if you decide to look after those necromancer guys you might have heard about), either of which are immune to PWP (as well as Sleep by the way), and as I said, even if you're going to certainly kill an enemy with it, you'll still need to survive the fight yourself while the enemy is dying, so it's not like it'll take care of everything all the time. Plus, I like to do noncombat stuff as well, so "Kill them" might not always be the best sollution.

So yeah, it's totally up to you. If anything, I'd probably reduce the hp bounds of it, but I'd be fine with it either way.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 12:35 pm

Okay, sorry to double post again, but I guess we won't do anything this weekend after all, since noone commented on the one of idea.

How does the time for everyone on the next weekend sound?
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 7:31 pm

im on late every weekend, 5pm london time saturday, 4pm london time sunday
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 8:22 pm

probably ok for me
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 10:13 pm

Not on Sunday unless perhaps very early, otherwise yeah I'm good.
Back to top Go down
TheBookwormBakery

TheBookwormBakery

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 07, 2015 12:35 am

I should be good for next weekend
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptySun Jun 07, 2015 12:46 am

So it sounds like it's looking good so far, should we make one of those "When has everyone time" thingies?
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 9:40 pm

I can come soon.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 11:22 am

OverlordJ wrote:
So it sounds like it's looking good so far, should we make one of those "When has everyone time" thingies?

Sure;

Input.

Output.

Everything GMT 0 as usual.
Back to top Go down
TheBookwormBakery

TheBookwormBakery

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 12:33 am

For once I actually have weekend plans lmao

I got invited to a friend's graduation party on Sunday night!
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyWed Jun 10, 2015 12:40 am

If we play this weekend, it will most likey have to happen on Saturday, since I will be visiting my parents, so Friday and Sunday I'll be on a train during the time where most of us could play.

So yeah, I don't know for sure if *I* have time. But so far it seems like we might be able to pull it of
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 8:04 am

Okay, so far only three people have written down their times, anyone know where the heck the rest of our group are?
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 11:18 am

procrastinating because the time thing is scary and confusing, sorry
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Well, I will go visit my parents this weekend and I will likely not be able to connect to the internet untill shortly before the time where we could play, so it would be best if we figure out within the next 24 hours whether or not we will play, because otherwise I'll likely not have enough time to plan the timing properly and then we won't be able to play even if we would have time.
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 3:53 pm

I can. Yes, I can come.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 9:24 pm

Okay, so, it currently looks like we'll be playing Saturday, from 19 to 21, that's the time that the only people that posted said they would have time and that's also the only good time for me.

I hope Mather, IreliVent and eZ will have time then as well.
Back to top Go down
IreliVent

IreliVent

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyThu Jun 11, 2015 10:35 pm

3 to 6 pm est saturday works for me.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 10:48 am

OverlordJ wrote:
Okay, so, it currently looks like we'll be playing Saturday, from 19 to 21, that's the time that the only people that posted said they would have time and that's also the only good time for me.

I hope Mather, IreliVent and eZ will have time then as well.

is that whenisgood time or your time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling
Page 10 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 18  Next