NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling

Go down 
+4
IreliVent
Ralte
silckenSoul
Shaula
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Sadly, my pesterchum stopped working at some point and I haven't found the time to bother to try and fix it.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 9:17 pm

if im being brutally honest there noone really on pesterchum anymore who i desperately want to talk to?

like everyone i regularly and comfortably talk to is in skype so i dont need to go anywhere else
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 9:25 pm

silckenSoul wrote:
if im being brutally honest there noone really on pesterchum anymore who i desperately want to talk to?

like everyone i regularly and comfortably talk to is in skype so i dont need to go anywhere else

Same here. Once the Overseer memo kinda died and since I got pretty much any meaningful friend on Skype, I sort of stopped using pesterchum.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 10:13 pm

silckenSoul wrote:
everyone i regularly and comfortably talk to is in skype so i dont need to go anywhere else
Eunomic Zenith wrote:
I got pretty much any meaningful friend on Skype

I'm considering whether or not I should feel insulted now. :(

Let me just quickly quote myself from the Pokemon Quarantine forum:

OverlordJ wrote:
I do not participate in "the skypes". "The skypes" and I are mortal enemies, between the two of us can only be blood. I'd be willing to renegociate but only if "the skypes" apologizes for what they did. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY DID!

(In other words, every time I tried downloading skype something went wrong and it never worked for me)
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 pm

u havent been on pc since before i moved to skype i resigned myself to forever being bereft of your wonderful words in a live setting long before i moved to skype, it hasnt been until roll20 that ive realised how much i missed chatting with u live and how much i enjoy it
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Aww shucks, now you're making me blush~

I really love chatting with you guys, maybe I'll give skype another try, it's got to work eventually, I hope?

On a different note, I have a question about something that I'm considering ruling. The idea is pretty simple, if you take an ACF that replaces one feature with a similar one, effects that affect the old feature also affect the new feature, IF it seems sensible.

For example, there is a feat that makes most of a Paladins abilities that depend on Charisma depend on Wisdom instead, including Smite Evil. A Paladin of Tyranny, which is a Lawful Evil version of the Paladin, has mostly the same features as a regular Paladin, but obviously Smites Good instead of smiting Evil. If a Paladin of Tyranny would take the feat, most of their abilities would depend on Wisdom now, but their Smite Good ability would still depend on their Charisma, since it's not a Smite Evil ability. That seems pretty dumb to me, which is why I'd like to rule it as I described above. In that case, since Smite Good is an ACF, and it is a similar feature to Smite Evil, it would also be affected by that feat.

What do you guys think?

(I included the part about similar ACFs, because for example, a feat that affects your sneak attack obviously couldn't sensibly be applied to Fighter Bonus feats, so a Martial Rogue like Mather is playing couldn't get any use out of those feats that allow you to swap sneak attack damage for alternative effects)
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 9:09 am

yeh that sounds good, I mean im not sure ill make use of it but it still seems logical to me
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 10:46 am

silckenSoul wrote:

I hope that's supposed to mean "chatting would be cool but I'm fine either way", and not "tbh I'd rather we don't". :|
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 12:36 pm

Well, if you do take levels in Artificer eventually, you might want to take the Warforged Artificer racial substitution levels, but I don't know if the ACFs you get from that replace anything that is affected by any feats or anything anyways.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 1:45 pm

royalPawn wrote:

I hope that's supposed to mean "chatting would be cool but I'm fine either way", and not "tbh I'd rather we don't".  :|

the prior, obvs, altho tbh ur in much the same boat as oj for me, i honestly cant remember the last time i saw ur cadbury caramel text
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 2:58 pm

... whatever happened to just talking on here
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 3:40 pm

OverlordJ wrote:
Sadly, my pesterchum stopped working at some point and I haven't found the time to bother to try and fix it.

What is the problem with your Pesterchum?
Did you try to download the newest version?

silckenSoul wrote:

Eunomic Zenith wrote:
silckenSoul wrote:

Same here. Once the Overseer memo kinda died and since I got pretty much any meaningful friend on Skype, I sort of stopped using pesterchum.

I’m sad to hear this.
I’m somebody who seldom meets many people at once and I feel uncomfortable fast, regardless of the situation.
Outside of the internet that is.
The Memos were something very new and cool for me. I was in a group I could talk with many people at once and I liked it more than disliking it.
I use Skype myself but pesterchum memos have less pressure on them I think, for me at least.

Also we can talk in memos about many different topics at once. I don’t want to open a new thread about every topic I want to talk about with you.
I would like to talk with you guys about the newest Homestuck up8s and about Nightfall updates.
I would like to talk with you about the teaser of “The Force Awakens” and “Batman v Superman”.
I would like to talk with you about videogames, TV series and other stuff.
Pesterchum was perfect for that, in my eyes at least.

OverlordJ wrote:
Aww shucks, now you're making me blush~

I really love chatting with you guys, maybe I'll give skype another try, it's got to work eventually, I hope?

On a different note, I have a question about something that I'm considering ruling. The idea is pretty simple, if you take an ACF that replaces one feature with a similar one, effects that affect the old feature also affect the new feature, IF it seems sensible.

For example, there is a feat that makes most of a Paladins abilities that depend on Charisma depend on Wisdom instead, including Smite Evil. A Paladin of Tyranny, which is a Lawful Evil version of the Paladin, has mostly the same features as a regular Paladin, but obviously Smites Good instead of smiting Evil. If a Paladin of Tyranny would take the feat, most of their abilities would depend on Wisdom now, but their Smite Good ability would still depend on their Charisma, since it's not a Smite Evil ability. That seems pretty dumb to me, which is why I'd like to rule it as I described above. In that case, since Smite Good is an ACF, and it is a similar feature to Smite Evil, it would also be affected by that feat.

What do you guys think?

(I included the part about similar ACFs, because for example, a feat that affects your sneak attack obviously couldn't sensibly be applied to Fighter Bonus feats, so a Martial Rogue like Mather is playing couldn't get any use out of those feats that allow you to swap sneak attack damage for alternative effects)

Sounds good to me. Yes, this sounds reasonable and logical.
I’m for it.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Shaula wrote:
... whatever happened to just talking on here

theres a difference between talking live on memos and stuff and talking on here

but yeh im still talking with people here which is fun
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 5:26 pm

I did try downloading the newest version but it's telling me different errors depending on the sytuation...
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 5:52 pm

o thats really weird :/
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Ralte wrote:
Also we can talk in memos about many different topics at once. I don’t want to open a new thread about every topic I want to talk about with you.
I would like to talk with you guys about the newest Homestuck up8s and about Nightfall updates.
I would like to talk with you about the teaser of “The Force Awakens” and “Batman v Superman”.
I would like to talk with you about videogames, TV series and other stuff.
Pesterchum was perfect for that, in my eyes at least.

... the Chatter Box thread?
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 10:26 pm

so it turns out i cant buy myself tokens only gms can use them

so oj youd have to buy the warforged if i wanted them, and since i cant gift them to you yet im down with not having those

but i am still v much for the whole gifting u subscription but i will wait for a few sessions as u suggested before doing that
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 11:15 pm

As I said, if we have a couple sessions and everything goes well and you still want to do it? Then I'd be most thankful for it. But untill then, you know that I can use pictures that don't cost money, I will see if I can find some free to use warforged pictures that could work as tokens. And if not, maybe we could ask Shaula or someone to draw them, we do have a couple talented artists here who might be willing to do you a favor after all.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 11:19 pm

that is a good point, i forgot you could use your own assets, theres no free warforged in the roll20 store but we might be able to find other elsewhere, and yeh if not maybe someone could do arts for all people who want one?
Back to top Go down
TheBookwormBakery

TheBookwormBakery

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 2:12 am

Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 2:43 am

TheBookwormBakery wrote:
I feel like this is relevant here

Throwable potions are actually not a common thing in DnD.

There are some alchemical items that can be used as thrown weapons, but it's usually either something that burns the target, that freezes the target, or just straight up acid. Or Holy/Unholy Water I guess. Other thrown alchemical items are usually not in bottles. A Tanglefoot bag is obviously a bag, a thunderstone is just a stone, stuff like that. So yeah, the things that come in glass bottles are usually things that hurt the target anyways.

As for the watergun idea, there actually are a couple of weapons that do stuff similar to that with holy water and "repurposing the water gun into a flame thrower by using alchemists fire" is a popular topic. And I'd be fine if you beat the "Craft: Alchemy" check to build one of those. But be warned, they aren't nearly as practical as one might think, especially since normally only spellcasters can have ranks in Craft:Alchemy, which means that if you want to set people on fire, you already have plenty of ways to do that.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 10:15 am

but u could still have a caster gift someone an alchemist fire gun
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 10:37 am

Pesterchum isn't exactly ideal. It's got a dynamic range of ports, so anyone using it on a network that limits port usage, such as British universities, has to use a VPN to connect. Skype would be better, as would the Roll20 chat or any IRC be. Also potentially Razer Comms, but I've never even had a chance to use it myself, I just have it installed.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 6:38 pm

silckenSoul wrote:
but u could still have a caster gift someone an alchemist fire gun

Yes, but as I said, it's not really that effective. The "Flamethrower" based on Alchemist's Fire deal pretty crappy damage and uses quite a bit of fuel, which gets expensive.

The DMG has, among other things, some suggested stats for "Modern or Future Technology" weapons, which includes something that is basically a Flamethrower. It has no suggestions for costs, saying that these items should be used like mysterious artifacts or something. That means that players are not supposed to buy of craft these, which makes getting ammunition for them a big issue. But even ignoring that, the Flamethrower like weapon has a couple disadvantages besides the obvious fact that it is a weapon that deals fire damage, which mean that allmost all DRs technically work against it and anything with Fire Resistance is also protected and in fact since they are different sources of reduction, this is actually one of the few cases where they stack. You still need to roll and attack roll in order to hit and the range is pretty crappy, which means that for enemies further away you get pretty big to hit penalties, too. On the other hand, everyone in a line is hit by the attack, which means it is possible to hit a target you didn't intend to hit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 7:04 pm

It's not like in Pathfinder where you can chuck Dragon's Breath cartridges in a double barrel shotgun as a Goblin, chuck 3 levels in Fighter(Trench Fighter), 5 levels in Gunslinger and 1 level in Alchemist(Goblin Firebomber) and do 3 attacks at 2 times 2d6+2DEX+INT to every creature in a 15-foot cone at Reflex DC15 to half.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling   DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

DnD Preparation Thread II: Let's Get Rolling
Page 3 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next