NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG

Go down 
+4
Sandstriker
Shaula
royalPawn
OverlordJ
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Which games would you rather play?
Pathfinder
Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG Vote_lcap14%Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Dungeons & Dragons 3.5
Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG Vote_lcap71%Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG Vote_rcap
 71% [ 5 ]
Other(please specify)
Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG Vote_lcap14%Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG Vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage

Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG Empty
PostSubject: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 8:57 am

To bring some organization to the recent discussion of starting a tabletop RPG session I've decided to bring it here.

We're going to need a volunteer for DM/GM.

I can't speak for Dungeons & Dragons, but Pathfinder is really easy to get into if you use the right tools. I can advice the use of d20pfsrd for rules and guides and YAPCG for character generation and as a character sheet (sorry, can't post links yet), while I can do my best to be of assistance.

Game is going to be DnD 3.5.

Last edited by The Mather1 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 am

Good call making this thread.

I'd be willing and happy to GM a 3.5 DnD session. I am currently trying to learn as much as I can about DnD 3.5 and I am soon going to be part of another 3.5 session, where I am without any doubt going to learn even more.

I also have SOME experience GMing, even though I never GMed a DnD session before.

As for source material, I have a lot of helpful links as well as a lot of different books in pdf form, which I'd be more then happy to link here, though they are REALLY easy to find via google. Even I found them via google, that's how easy to find they are.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 11:15 am

Quote :
To bring some organization to the recent discussion of starting a tabletop RPG session I've decided to bring it here.
Um, what recent discussion? Did I miss something?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 11:26 am

It's been taking place in the Nightfall Overseer memo.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 4:50 pm

It's okay Pawn, I missed it too.

I've never actually played one of these, that could be a problem... and will we be playing as our Nightnight characters or just whatever we want?
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 4:54 pm

I have no idea whats going on but I would prefer some D&D.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8UxJkV3nW8UJc_wtWpIRw
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Actually, 3.5 is fairly easy to learn IF you are willing to spend a little time. 4e is technically even easier though you'd probably need to BUY some resources and I'd understand why people would be unwilling to do that.

Whether you'd want to play as something "normal", something inspired by your character, something your character would possibly be interested in playing or just straight your character is something we can decide later, though I'd prefer one of the first three options, since most of our characters here PROBABLY wouldn't work too well if you'd want to play them exactly like they are in our RP.

Though If given enough time I could PROBABLY come up with some homebrew stuff to give you options SIMILAR to your character.
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 5:01 pm

I think playing Death in D&D would be really weird and probably not be the best.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Sandstriker wrote:
I think playing Death in D&D would be really weird and probably not be the best.

Agreed, same with Doc Scratch. The Carapacians could KIND of work, if I was given enough time to homebrew some stuff.

Anyways, the options are, again:

1) "normal", as in, we take the regular DnD stuff and we play a campain not related to Nightfall or Homestuck or anything

2) something inspired by your character, as in, Silck plays someone stabby and/or magicy, pumkin plays someone explody, Sand plays maybe something related to Death (Cleric of the Death Domain, IDK). It would be possibly to just do this with normal DnD though it would also be possible to add some Homebrew to make our characters a bit more similar.

3) something your character would possibly be interested in playing, as in, we RP our characters playing a game of DnD. The result would probably be a bit similar to the second option but there'd obviously be some RP differences. The obvious problem with this is that some characters might not be as interested in a game of DnD as their players are.

4) your character in DnD, as in, straight up Spades Slick and co running around the DnD world, stabbing and magicing and stuff. This is not too difficult from a RP perspective BUT VERY difficult for certain characters mechanically. While it probably wouldn't be too hard to Homebrew a Carapacian Race and maybe some Horrorterror related Shadowmagic and possibly some weapon/object duality, too, creating something like Death or Doc Scratch is, to say it clearly, nigh impossible. At least for me.

Last edited by OverlordJ on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 5:24 pm

I like option 2 and 3
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 5:43 pm

You can base the character off of them, but this is a community event, not a roleplay event, and it's for non-Nightnight readers of Nightfall too.
We won't use any homebrew, and 3rd party material only if explicitly agreed upon.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 6:31 pm

1 or 2 seem best, we don't want to exclude the Nightfall fans that don't have a character here/have a character that couldn't play DnD without going OOC. (hi.)

And as for learning this stuff, where can I get the information? (Or do we go with the 'explain as we go along' method)
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

The Mather1 wrote:
You can base the character off of them, but this is a community event, not a roleplay event, and it's for non-Nightnight readers of Nightfall too.
We won't use any homebrew, and 3rd party material only if explicitly agreed upon.

Shaula wrote:
1 or 2 seem best, we don't want to exclude the Nightfall fans that don't have a character here/have a character that couldn't play DnD without going OOC. (hi.)

And as for learning this stuff, where can I get the information? (Or do we go with the 'explain as we go along' method)

1) Okay, so it seems version 1 or 2 or a combination is the most liked option.

2) Mather, you don't get to decide if we use Homebrew or not, if I'm the one who GMs and people want me to include Homebrew (like a carapacian race for example) then I'll freaking do it.

2b) What exactly do you mean with 3rd party material?

3) As for learning it, once we agree on which system we want to play in and how we want to play, we'll move to that point.

3b) IF we decide to play 3.5 I'd be willing to GM and IF people want me to GM then I'll make another thread where I'll explain everything you need to know as well as I'll include any links to pdfs anyone wants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:36 pm

As I said there's d20pfsrd (just add .com at the end of that for the url) for Pathfinder. It contains all information on the game and the layout is very easy to use.

3rd party material is professional material for the game created by a 3rd party publisher.
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Woo! 3.5!
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm

So DnD Supplements aren't 3rd party, right?

Okay, so, Sand seems to want 3.5

Shaula, pawn, anyone else? What do you guys vote?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Depends on whether they're fanmade or made by other publishers.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm talking about stuff like Races of Destiny, Libris Mortis and the likes
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 9:55 pm

Well, I’m interested in some Tabletop Roleplaying for a long time.
Watching “Counter Monkey” and Reading “DM of the Rings”, “Darths & Droids” and “Friendship is Dragons” made me interested in Pen & Paper RPG’s.

But I’m completely new to this... Would that be a problem?
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Not at all. Do you have any preferences for any system? If not, that okay, too. Untill now we have two votes for 3.5 and only one for Pathfinder and so far it seems I was the only one who volunteered to GM so it seems we're likely to play in 3.5.

I'll wait a bit longer but if noone says anything against it I'll probably make the thread with the link and explanations soonish.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Oh gog we're getting new people

Nice avatar, Ralte

Oh, btw, Math, Ralte, will you be joining the actual RP as well?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 11:23 pm

I won't. I can't roleplay without a purpose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 am

Hi guys, I'm Hytheter, some of you may know me from the Nightfall thread. I'm hosting a DnD 3.5 game for OverlordJ and some other dudes at another place. OJ told me you guys were doing a thing and asked if he could use some helpful materials I've made. So I thought I'd drop by and see what the fuss is about. :P

OverlordJ wrote:
I'm talking about stuff like Races of Destiny, Libris Mortis and the likes
There are four kinds of content in 3.5, which I'll list in order of "official"-ness.
Core: This is just the Player Handbook, Dungeon Master Guide and Monster Manual(s?). Games are perfectly playable with core only, in fact that may be better for new players.
Non-Core: Most stuff produced by Wizards for DnD 3.5, such as the "Complete X" series, Lbris Mortis and Races of Destiny.
Other Campaign Settings: Stuff that pertains to a particular campaign settings and may not be allowed in others. This is stuff like Faerun, Eberron and Forgotten Realms.
Third Party: Stuff produced by companies other than Wizards for DnD 3.5.

There's also Dragon Magazine, but I'm not sure where that fits in.

Also, a note on Pathfinder: Pathfinder and DnD 3.5 are very similar, which you'll see if/when OJ cross-posts my stuff. The main differences are:
- Pathfinder is entirely open content, which means you don't have to cross any legal boundaries to obtain some non-core material
- Classes are generally better and more interesting
- Races are each slightly more powerful
- Skill system is much simpler
- codified Trip, Bull Rush, Disarm, Grapple etc into a consistent system
- DnD 3.5 has way more content, but Pathfinder is still being supported (whereas 3.5 has been dropped by Wizards in favor of newer editions). Also, most 3.5 stuff is usable in Pathfinder with little adjustment. And vice versa for that matter.

If it sounds like I favor Pathfinder that's because I do. But the dudes I'm hosting for still tricked me into doing 3.5. *grumble grumble*
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 7:44 am

I'm up for whatever.
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 10:56 am

Shaula wrote:
Oh gog we're getting new people

Nice avatar, Ralte

I didn’t do it myself...^^”
It is a little embarrassing for me, because it seems all of you made your avatars yourself.
I searched simply for a female Version of Diamonds Droog.  

Shaula wrote:
Oh, btw, Math, Ralte, will you be joining the actual RP as well?

If possible? Would be my first time, I’m pretty nervous. I have an idea how it works but still... I hope I can ask you guys for help if necessary.
And I would prefer the system that is more beginner friendly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG   Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG Empty

Back to top Go down

Nightnight Crew/Nightfall tabletop RPG
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next