NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread

Go down 
+9
OverlordJ
silckenSoul
uncertainHavoc
tekkenfreak4
Metafiction
Ralte
royalPawn
Sandstriker
JakeMorph
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 6:01 pm

So it seemes we have finally decided to play in 3.5

I said I would make a thread to help people get started and I am planning to keep my word.

A lot of the links and the describtion are from the thread Hytheter made over on the Pokemon Quarantine Forum, so lots of thanks and credits to Hytheter.

Since Hytheter offered to let us use Dungeonbot we'll probably play via Mibbit, I'll edit more about that in here later.

Helpful Links:
LINKS:

((Most of this is literally just copy+pasted from Hytheters post))

The Most Important thing - Players and the DM
I mean, obviously players are important.
The DM or Dungeon Master (Also called Game Master or GM) however is what holds everything together. He's the one who runs the game, controlling NPCs and enemies, describing whats happening and making the plot happen, all while trying to accommodate the wants and actions of the players. He has a lot of responsibility but also a lot of Power. In DnD the DM is a stern but generally benevolent god.
DM Responsibilities:
DM Power:

The Second Most Important Thing - the d20 Check
The underlying foundation of Dungeons and Dragons and many derivative games is the d20 'check'. This is where you roll a twenty sided dice or d20, add relevant modifiers, and hope that you beat the Difficulty Class (DC) of the task you are trying to accomplish. These things can go under different names (eg Attack Roll vs AC) but the principle is the same.
Sidebar - Bonuses and Stacking:

Parts of a Character
These are the Basic Parts of every Character that you'll need to know about. Listed roughly in order of importance.
Race and Class:
Level and Experience:
Abilities, Ability Scores and Ability Modifiers:
HP or Hit Points:
AC or Armor Class:
BAB or Base Attack Bonus:
Saves:
Skills:
CMB and CMD:
Feats, Spells, Class Features, Racial Features and other Miscellaneous Abilities:

Combat
The bulk of the actual DnD rules (though not necessarily playing itself) revolve around combat. These are the main elements of combat, listed roughly in order of occurence.
Note: For a detailed breakdown try here.
Roll for Initiative:
Surprise! The Surprise Round and First Round:
Rounds, Turns and Actions:
Movement and the Grid:
Attacking:
Threatening and Attacks of Opportunity:
Spells:
Advanced Combat Techniques:

Outside of Combat
Non-combat situations are usually dealt with through a combination of Skill checks and free-form roleplay. You don't need to roll to decide whether you succeed on basic things like walking through a door, but you may need to succeed on a Diplomacy check to convince the guards to let you in.

Dying and Death
If you ever drop to 0 health points or less you fall unconcious and begin dying. When you are dying, your health slowly decreases until you either stabilise or reach -10 HP - when you reach -10 HP by any means you straight up die.
If you die, you aren't necessarily out of the game. There are a couple of options:
In case of emergency, break glass:

And that's all the basics and some other helpful stuff. Obviously there are many more details, but that's the gist of what you need to play. If you wanna know more check out the SRDs linked. The next post will be a guide to creating characters, including expanded information on skills, spells and feats.

Last edited by OverlordJ on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:07 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Replaced the dndtools link and fixed the pdf, which always breaks if someone edits this post)
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Mostly copied (with some small edits) from Hytheter:

So You Want To Be An Adventurer? - Character Creation and Levelling

This post will be a rough guide to creating and levelling your character. The SRD's already have similar things, but I also want to fit in some other information as we go. So let's go.

Character Creation
Step 1 - Character Sheet:
Step 2 - Race, Class and Concept:
Sidebar - Race Overview:
Sidebar - Class Overview:
Sidebar - Favored Classes:
Step 3 - Ability Scores and Modifiers:
Step 4 - Skills:
Step 5 - Feats:
Step 6 - Spells (if applicable):
Step 7 - Basic But Important Numbers and Stats:
Step 8 - Equipment:
Step 9 - Fluff and Flavour:

Ding! Level Up
Whenever you reach a particular amount of experience, your level increases. The process for levelling is much like the process for creating your character, except with much of the particulars already decided for you.
Update Stats:
Increase Ability Scores:
Skills:
New Feats:
New Spells:
Advanced:

Planning Ahead
It's usually a good idea to have some idea where you're going and what choices you'll be making in future. This serves a few purposes:
- It speeds up the levelling process, since you already know what you want instead of having to decide right then
- It let's you make decisions not based on what you are, but what you will be; if you want to take the Improved Trip feat, you'll need to take Combat Expertise first.
- It let's you define your character concept even before you get the skills to pull it off. Sure, you don't have the skills of a master assassin yet, but you can think of yourself as one, or at least an aspiring one.

Last edited by OverlordJ on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Rules if I GM:

Rules:

I decided to move the player list to this post:

Player List:

Last edited by OverlordJ on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:55 pm; edited 17 times in total
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Sup. Hoping to play a sorcerer that specializes in illusions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Planning a gunslinging Fighter that deals with combat Assassin's Creed style wielding only a musket (no matter which way you interpret that, you're right).
Back to top Go down
JakeMorph

JakeMorph

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 10:40 pm

I really do miss a lot of stuff.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 pm

Okay so, I added the three of you to the player list and fixed whatever caused the Player Handbook link to break (I hope)

Life, I'd suggest following the link to the Player Handbook, Sorcerers start on page 51

Jake, do you have any idea what kind of character you want to play?

Also, I'll add the information that's still missing to the second OP post in a bit
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 11:29 pm

I might play as a human cleric who worships a deity of death.

Or just a bard of some sort.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8UxJkV3nW8UJc_wtWpIRw
JakeMorph

JakeMorph

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyThu Dec 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Well I'd probably be a magic-user of some kind I suppose, Dwarven Mages are generally my kind of character in these sorts of games and it also seems to me like the sort of thing Tavros would want to be. Preferably battle-based magic? I don't even know
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 12:49 am

All magic classes have equal potential for being battle-based. The question is whether you want to focus entirely on spells or wield a weapon on the side, and how you want your casting and spell memorization to be done.
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 1:41 am

So you'll never guess what I just remembered I have in my room.

My older brother used to play a lot of DnD. As it turns out, I am in possession of his sourcebook collection, including the 3.5 core, Book of Exalted Deeds, Book of Vile Darkness, Psionics Handbook, Lords of Madness, Deities and Demigods, Draconomicon, Manual of the Planes, and the Fiend Folio.

I'm not sure all of that is 3.5 though (there's some other stuff, like 2E core books, Star Wars stuff, Cthulhu stuff...)
Back to top Go down
JakeMorph

JakeMorph

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 2:40 am

Right. Well. Yeah. I'm a sorcerer.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 9:38 am

I want in! :D
...The obvious choice would be a wwhite wwizard, but since there's already a lot of magic users I could look at other options. I'll take a look at the classes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 9:47 am

A wizard would be useful though, as we could use someone with focus on INT for the sake of knowledge, forgery and appraise.

Depending on the starting level, I may be able to fulfill the role of both a frontline fighter and a ranged assassin, meaning we wouldn't be that imbalanced for combat.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 10:58 am

On one hand it seems like I should pick a class related to my NN character

On the other hand i think id rather just go with rogue

What do
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Sand, look into Domain abilities. I seem to remember there being a Death domain. Also, there are different gods of Death. I think a list of the most common gods can be found in the player handbook.

[EDIT]Okay, so the two gods with Death Domain in the Player Handbook are "Wee Jas, goddess of death and magic Alignment: Lawful neutral Domains: Death, Law, Magic" and "Nerull, god of death Alignment: Neutral evil Domains: Death, Evil, Trickery"

The powers you'd get are:
Death Domain:
[/EDIT]

Life, that's awesome, good for you and have fun reading  ;) 

Jake, tell me some more what exactly you want to do. Also, Dwarf Sorcerer seem a bit suboptimal, since Sorcerers need CHA and Dwarves get a -2 on that. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just want to know if there might not be a better option for what you want to do.

Pawn, a Wizard would work nicely, since they use INT inseatd of CHA and also because their casting is different then a Sorcerer.

Shaula, a Rogue is fitting enough for Droog, they are stabby and sneaky and skilled. Though if you wanted something similar to Shadow Magic, I'd suggest taking a look at the Warlock from Complete Arcane

Besides that, the second part of the OP will be added soon, sorry for the delay, I am at my parents home and they sort of forced me to leave my computer for a while. I hope it won't take much longer.
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Considering the number of people here who want to play spellcasters, I'm also willing to play a paladin, in light of previous discussions I've had with OJ on the subject of paladins and the Lawful Good alignment in general. Unless anyone's worried that'll cause friction in the party? We do potentially have a death cleric and a rogue...
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 11:35 pm

((from what little i know it would be best to have a defender like a paladin in your team, im sticking to double brackets because im not actually a part of this so think of me as a little quiet voice whispering in yo ears xD ))
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 11:44 pm

Clerics can get pretty frontline too. That's arguably better than just having them be a healbot.

Usually I'm the guy who just wants to play whatever everyone else needs.

We have a blasty spellcaster from JakeMorph, and I was planning on playing a not-so-blasty sorcerer, so sorcerer can still work out (especially because if Pawn goes Wizard, wizards can specialize in a type of magic by barring themselves from other types so he could safely ban illusion if he wanted to specialize). Ain't a law saying you can't have multiple people on the same class.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 12:49 am

Just leaving this here, it's the outline for my character.
Back to top Go down
JakeMorph

JakeMorph

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 1:14 am

@OJ: Well yeah the whole idea of me generally being a Dwarf Sorcerer is mainly because a dwarf sorcerer is just really funny
But like I'm more than happy to change anything if dwarf sorcerers stopped being funny and just started being plain horrible
Which in retrospect they probably always were
I mean I basically want to be a mage kind of guy who can also not get his ass kicked from a melee attack
But primarily I don't even know what I'm doing
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 1:18 am

((dont know about 3.5 but in 4e theres a battlemage which is a defender class with magic which should fulfill both requirements for you jake))
Back to top Go down
JakeMorph

JakeMorph

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 1:19 am

That sounds about right for the kind of thing I want to be
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 2:27 am

Battlemages are indeed a thing (Though they are called Warmages) and I was going to suggest them to you. They get some basic armor, weapons and some spells. Their spells are a little limited because they can sort of only learn blastery spells but you wanted to do that anyways, right? You can find them in the Complete Arcane.

[EDIT]There are also Battle Sorcerers in the Unearthed Arcana[/EDIT]

Life, if you WANT to play a Paladin, fine. You shouldn't worry too much about Sands Death Domain, since you don't have to be evil. In fact, if I understood this correctly, a Cleric of Wee Jas could possibly even be Lawful Good, like a Paladin.

Though a Sorcerer who plays a more subtle role instead of simply blasting the enemies to pieces might be interessting for this group.

Mather, could you perhaps use Myth-Weaver that was linked in the OP and also, please make your character level one. Most people are only beginners and I'd VERY STRONGLY suggest starting on level one.

Sorry that completing the OP takes so long...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 2:35 am

It's better to put starting level to a vote. Low level play can be VERY dull and very slow, especially for result oriented players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread
Page 1 of 40Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next