NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread

Go down 
+9
OverlordJ
silckenSoul
uncertainHavoc
tekkenfreak4
Metafiction
Ralte
royalPawn
Sandstriker
JakeMorph
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 4:17 am

I'm less concerned about mechanical party balance for the paladin thing and more about personality clashes. I get that death is Neutral (or else "only the good would die for good," to paraphrase Rich Burlew) but still.

Think I'll go with the Sorcerer here, maybe do a Paladin some other time.

I should probably get crackin' on the character generation.

(edit: should have felt my reaction when I almost accidentally named my character Tom Baker)

edit2: So here's what I have so far:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=746041

Feats, spells (with one exception; OJ, this has to do with the character's background, I'd rather PM you), skills, ability scores (using filler numbers, since stat generation methods vary), and other basic information is complete. Hit points, equipment/possessions, and a couple other things still need to be done.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 12:00 pm

OverlordJ wrote:
Shaula, a Rogue is fitting enough for Droog, they are stabby and sneaky and skilled.

Stabby.

Yeah.

There's the problem.

Stabby is Slick's thing.

Also I meant I should probably contemplate which class is most DD-like instead of just going 'eh I wanna be a Rogue close enough'

but

eh

I wanna be a Rogue

close enough
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Shaula wrote:
OverlordJ wrote:
Shaula, a Rogue is fitting enough for Droog, they are stabby and sneaky and skilled.

Stabby.

Yeah.

There's the problem.

Stabby is Slick's thing.

Also I meant I should probably contemplate which class is most DD-like instead of just going 'eh I wanna be a Rogue close enough'

but

eh

I wanna be a Rogue

close enough
You should be an incredibly nonchalant and classy rogue.
Like, instead of sneaking trough the shadows you just kinda walk up to them and whack them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Rogue really is the closest though, you could also do bard but that's kind of a long shot, as they're the only classes that use their brains more than their blades/spells. Also the Shadowdancer prestige class might suit him.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Hmm, actually, how many times have we seen a version of Droog fight?

I can think of two and two implied times.

First was in the intermission, where he wasn't too sneaky, he mainly whacked people and shot them...

Second was when he was "hunting" down the kids via the Red Miles, which, honestly, wasn't all that sneaky either (though I suppose that'd count as "Use Magic Device" in DnD?)

The other two times were when he killed a Doomed Dave and when he GOT killed.

Hmm, you know, you don't HAVE to optimize your character perfectly. In the session with Hytheter I am playing as a Dread Necromancer who has no ranks in "Knowledge (Religion)" and none in "Bluff", just because those two abilities wouldn't fit the character I am planning to RP.

You could choose your skills and feats so that your character is better at ranged combat and tires to avoid melee (even though it seem that most of the characters in this group sort of want to do that). You could even give your character high Charisma (though that would be pretty useless for combat) and then focus on skills like Diplomacy, Use Magic Device, Bluff and Intimidate. Gather Information is also a CHA based skill that could come in handy. Remember, even if you only have an INT of 10, you'll be able to max AT LEAST 8 skills as a Rogue, 9 if you're a Human or something alike.

Life, a Cleric of Death doesn't have to want things to die, at least not nesseccarily. If Sand wants to be good, he could instead go the "Dead things should stay dead" route or something like that? Or at least his character shouldn't see Death as something horrible that needs to be avoided (quick hint, if you play a Lawful Neutral Cleric of Wee Jas you'll be channeling NEGATIVE energy and Rebuke undeads instead of turning them, just like an evil cleric would and no matter what)
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Bluh im sorry im making this so complicated...

*hides under roboti% pile*

Wasnt there a 'not giving a fuck about our NN characters' option am i just thinking about this for no reason

OJ wrote:
You could choose your skills and feats so that your character is better at ranged combat and tires to avoid melee (even though it seem that most of the characters in this group sort of want to do that). You could even give your character high Charisma (though that would be pretty useless for combat) and then focus on skills like Diplomacy, Use Magic Device, Bluff and Intimidate. Gather Information is also a CHA based skill that could come in handy. Remember, even if you only have an INT of 10, you'll be able to max AT LEAST 8 skills as a Rogue, 9 if you're a Human or something alike.

I was planning to go for the first one already, but focusing on CHA... eh. Dunno.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 2:00 pm

Shaula wrote:
Bluh im sorry im making this so complicated...

*hides under roboti% pile*

Wasnt there a 'not giving a fuck about our NN characters' option am i just thinking about this for no reason
You're free to completely discard Droog if you want to.
I'm just going with the wwhite wwizard thing because it's fun and it gives me a nice base for a character.
Otherwise I would probably take an half-elf ranger with no interesting characteristics whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 3:01 pm

Yes, your DnD character doesn't have to be related to your Nightnight Crew character at all. If it is, that's neat, if it isn't that's just as well.

Also, you don't NEED to focus on CHA in order to take CHA based feats, it'd just make them a bit better more quickly.
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 4:44 pm

OJ, are we using preset numbers for ability score generation? Point allocation? Something else?
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 5:10 pm

So we have (still open for change obviously):

OverlordJ: GM

sparkingLife: sorcerer (specialized in illusions)

The Mather1: gunslinger

Sandstriker: cleric (death deity)/bard

royalPawn: wwizard

JakeMorph: warmage/battle sorcerer

Shaula: rogue

And I assume Ralte will join as well, so that's seven players.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 5:16 pm

8 people counting OJ~
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 5:21 pm

I don't think the GM is referred to as a player, really?
But yes eight people.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Well, I didn't want to say something but since you seem to like me to be GM, I'd be happy to be GM.

I'll add important information really soon, sorry I am taking so long. :(
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 6:31 pm

royalPawn wrote:

That's why I said PEOPLE not PLAYERS
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Okay, I finished updating the OP posts, I hope everything works.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 8:28 pm

Shaula wrote:
royalPawn wrote:

That's why I said PEOPLE not PLAYERS

But I did say players and I thought you were saying I forgot him.
So then I explained why I didn't count him.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Ah, no, I was just pointing out that Vriska has blessed this thread.
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Updated the character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=746041

Probably need to redo raw stats since I missed the second and third post of the thread <.<

EDIT: okay, I think I fixed everything missing. Well, except I have ~60 unspent gold, but I think I'll wait for other people to roll characters before worrying about that.
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:41 am

OverlordJ wrote:

A Cleric of Death doesn't have to want things to die, at least not nesseccarily. If Sand wants to be good, he could instead go the "Dead things should stay dead" route or something like that? Or at least his character shouldn't see Death as something horrible that needs to be avoided (quick hint, if you play a Lawful Neutral Cleric of Wee Jas you'll be channeling NEGATIVE energy and Rebuke undeads instead of turning them, just like an evil cleric would and no matter what)
So what if I do neutral or good neutral if that's even a thing?
(( Also, while Death would absolutely love to have control over the dead like that, I'm sure he would like for them to stay put and die like they are supposed to more.))
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8UxJkV3nW8UJc_wtWpIRw
JakeMorph

JakeMorph

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:43 am

Well since I missed this big conversation about DD's fighting style, can I just say OJ, you're forgetting DD fighting with Team Sleuth in the Problem Sleuth additional pages, which was the actual first time we'd ever seen him fight
He used his cuestick to launch a pool ball from a table which was then clubbed by Slick, IIRC

So I don't know how you'd want to read that but possibly as some sort of support or buffing class?
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:47 am

Sandstriker wrote:
OverlordJ wrote:

A Cleric of Death doesn't have to want things to die, at least not nesseccarily. If Sand wants to be good, he could instead go the "Dead things should stay dead" route or something like that? Or at least his character shouldn't see Death as something horrible that needs to be avoided (quick hint, if you play a Lawful Neutral Cleric of Wee Jas you'll be channeling NEGATIVE energy and Rebuke undeads instead of turning them, just like an evil cleric would and no matter what)
(( Also, while Death would absolutely love to have control over the dead like that, I'm sure he would like for them to stay put and die like they are supposed to more.))

Wee Jas is lawful neutral. Therefore, his clerics are supposed to be Lawful Good/Neutral/Evil or True Neutral. That's how clerics work--they have to be within a step of their deity's alignment.

I have a Deities and Demigods copy, if you'd like me to look for other death deities--provided OJ is okay with that of course.

EDIT: actually, having skimmed said copy, I don't really see anything that fits a "Cleric of Death" other than additional LN or NE entities, except for the Egyptian pantheon which includes a LG and a CG deity of "repose" which is presumably similar.

Last edited by sparkingLife on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sandstriker

Sandstriker

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:48 am

JakeMorph wrote:
Well since I missed this big conversation about DD's fighting style, can I just say OJ, you're forgetting DD fighting with Team Sleuth in the Problem Sleuth additional pages, which was the actual first time we'd ever seen him fight
He used his cuestick to launch a pool ball from a table which was then clubbed by Slick, IIRC

So I don't know how you'd want to read that but possibly as some sort of support or buffing class?
He could be an artificer. Is that a class in 3.5?

EDIT: Yeah. I believe it is. Here's a description from the wiki.
Quote :
The artificer has magic running through his veins due to draconic heritage; much like the sorcerer the artificer is in a position of potentially great magic combined with extraordinary crafting abilities. Unlike the sorcerer, the artificer forsakes learning to use spells and instead learns to channel raw arcane magic through his veins into a permanent permeable form through magic items. With his enhanced skills he also receives a supernaturally high level of ability with all the skills that he pursues that deal with his crafting expertise; and can make mundane and magical items of varying qualities with ease. Another key difference between sorcerers and artificers is that artificers also are able to shape divine magic by establishing a connection to the magic's deity, but his abilities are wholly innate without requiring the service of the god. Artificers are also able to break down and reclaim components from previously created magical items through a process called rending, and they commonly use this ability to fuel their own creations and projects.

sparkingLife wrote:
Sandstriker wrote:
OverlordJ wrote:

Wee Jas is lawful neutral. Therefore, his clerics are supposed to be Lawful Good/Neutral/Evil or True Neutral. That's how clerics work--they have to be within a step of their deity's alignment.

I have a Deities and Demigods copy, if you'd like me to look for other death deities--provided OJ is okay with that of course.
I would say sure in looking for the other deities if they are accepted. Also I suppose true neutral will have to work.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8UxJkV3nW8UJc_wtWpIRw

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 1:58 am

That's probably Bard then. Eloquent stabby spellcaster.
Back to top Go down
JakeMorph

JakeMorph

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:05 am

I would have thought True Neutral would have easily been the most obvious alignment for a Death-based character though, Sand.
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:08 am

Quote :
EDIT: actually, having skimmed said copy, I don't really see anything that fits a "Cleric of Death" other than additional LN or NE entities, except for the Egyptian pantheon which includes a LG and a CG deity of "repose" which is presumably similar.

Apologies for editing after you responded, Sand, but that sort of happens now and then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread
Page 2 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next