NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread

Go down 
+9
OverlordJ
silckenSoul
uncertainHavoc
tekkenfreak4
Metafiction
Ralte
royalPawn
Sandstriker
JakeMorph
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
IreliVent

IreliVent

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 7:24 pm

If you want shadow magic and stabbing things maybe try a swordsage focused on shadow hand maneuvers?

The shadow hand discipline is pretty much just shadow magic and stabbing things.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Hahaha :D

EDIT: Alright, so I think I have a build for the knifethrower!Slick. It takes 20 levels, so I'll have to change the race I had planned or the level adjustment would make him count as epic but I guess that's okay. Good knifethrower and pretty good "shadow magic", so the reference should fit. Too bad I can't squeeze a level as shadowcaster in for that funny ink and some other neat stuff but oh well.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 8:38 pm

sounds good
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Hmm, question: There are optional rules on "retraining", which allow you to change skills and feats at a later level, which allows people to undo earlier mistakes and also allows you to take feats that are good early but bad later and then swap them out when they stop being useful. I am unsure if I should allow it, since some people like to abuse this, but on the other hand it is very helpful, especially to people who aren't very experienced with dnd, since they can undo mistakes...

So what do you think, should I allow it?
Back to top Go down
IreliVent

IreliVent

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 12:13 am

I think the only people who would actually know how to abuse that at the moment are me and Mather; I optimize my characters to do weird things and Mather seems to have a very specific thing he wants to do with his character, so I doubt you have to worry about people abusing it.

Edit: Actually having the ability to swap out feats might make it easier for me to make sure my character's not too OP, if I'm too powerful I might be able to swap out one of my feats for something less powerful but more interesting.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 2:33 am

Okay, then I'll allow it but if someone abuses it I will revoke it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 3:37 am

This is the first time I'm touching DnD directly as opposed to indeciciively somewhere in between DnD and Pathfinder and I'm pretty much unconscious at the moment according to the stats, but I agree. Everything at this moment is up to you, OJ, anything that seems to be player chosen at the moment is just up to whether or not it should be 1st or 0th level at whatever the masterclass is, which of course if we have a player in it should be 1st.

EDIT: Drunken ramblings, probably safe to ignore.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm thinking of ways to make the other crew members. I think I know what to do with Deuce and I just found a way for Boxcars to eat people with one bite. Now I need to figure out what to do with Droog...
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 9:25 pm

literally long sticks, thats it, that is droog

oh also like a fuck tonne into athletics and stuff so he can dodge attacks practically without moving or something?
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 9:30 pm

silckenSoul wrote:
literally long sticks, thats it, that is droog

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 Tumblr_m0fwobxejb1r2ei5y
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 10:01 pm

Shaula are you implying silck might have meant some of these?

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 10:04 pm

ouo

Also there's a fish sticks quip in there somewhere but I cba to find it
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 11:23 pm

something something condy something something draco

there xD
Back to top Go down
IreliVent

IreliVent

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 11:28 pm

Is anyone else amused by the fact that the lipstick is right next to the minced fish fillet?
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 1:47 am

Wait, fish tacos are an actual thing?

Sorry, I just am easily amused but that the box of fish sticks loves fish tacos is just too much for me XD
Back to top Go down
sparkingLife

sparkingLife

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 1:53 am

Spades was more a stabby guy than a throwy guy, right?

EDIT: Was on the wrong page when I typed that, but I guess it's kinda relevant so I'll leave the post up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 2:03 am

I don't think he's particularly picky about how he uses the knife so long as it ends up stuck in his target.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 2:06 am

Yeah, though he did throw stuff. Once.

But, well, uh...

Seriously spoilers and stuff!:
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 10:49 pm

yeah since the spoiler is slick related im not clicking that
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 12:12 am

Why not? Since you aren't a player, you could probably read it.
Back to top Go down
IreliVent

IreliVent

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 2:00 am

Ok, I think I'd like to play A Sha'ir from Dragon compendium and then take levels in warlock and eldritch theurge later (from complete arcane and complete mage respectively), is that ok?
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 5:34 am

Well...

On the first look, the Sha'ir looks weird to me, especially since I hadn't made any plans for Genie related stuff yet. I'll give that class a closer reading. Warlock and Eldritch Theurge are definitely okay though.
Back to top Go down
IreliVent

IreliVent

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 4:19 am

Well? further thoughts on Sha'ir weirdness? Also I don't think it will necessarily involve Genies all that much since I'm multiclassing out quite early; it would also be very easy to refluff as something other than Genies.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 3:26 am

Hmm, if you take no more then 6 levels, it should definitely be fine, easily enough to refluff. You're like a mix between a sorcerer and a wizard, who can also cast some very limited divine spells but in return needs to make a diplomacy check for EVERY spell he wants to use, all the time? You'll probably have difficulties at lower levels.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to play a Sha'ir?
Back to top Go down
IreliVent

IreliVent

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 5:18 am

Diplomacy is one of the easiest skills to buff (seriously if you try you can have enough diplomacy bonus by level 2 to reliably full round action enemies into friendlies) so I'm not terribly worried about that. I want to play Sha'ir because it is one of the most versatile arcane spellcasters which combos nicely with warlocks lack of flexibility, also I like making weird builds and Sha'ir is just a neat class.

All that said if I am allowed to play a Sha'ir there are a handful ambiguous bits in the class that I'm going to need you to make a ruling on.

The most important thing is whether or not having my familiar fetch a spell uses up a spellslot, as opposed to the spellslot only being used up if I cast the retrieved spell. From the research I've done in working on my build it seems like most people are of the opinion that you only use up one of your spells per day if you actually cast the spell, but it's not specified in the book so it's your call.

If you do decide that having my familiar fetch a spell uses up one of my spells per day then I will not be playing a Sha'ir because then it would just be a worse wizard.

The next thing on the list is this bit of text "A sha'ir must obtain a gen familiar at 1st level." with the starting gold listed on DnDtools (Dragon compendium doesn't actually list a starting gold) I would have enough money to summon a familiar less than half the time if I rolled and be 34 gp short if I took the average. Some potential options to solve this include: giving me my first familiar for free (wink wink nudge nudge), give me just my familiar and no other gear if I roll too low, or just making me start without one if I don't have enough money and summon it as soon as possible.

Lastly how much control will I have over my familiar? will it be an npc or will I be able to rp as it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread
Page 21 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next