NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread

Go down 
+9
OverlordJ
silckenSoul
uncertainHavoc
tekkenfreak4
Metafiction
Ralte
royalPawn
Sandstriker
JakeMorph
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 2:31 am

I believe saving the Matriorb from hopesploding would've been a Reflex save. She hasn't been able to dodge anything that we've seen, and out of all of the characters in Homestuck, she's spent the most time with both feet planted firmly on the ground, having never made any Acrobatics, Fly, Stealth, Move Silently or Ride checks. So for her ability scores to balance out, its reasonable for her DEX to be low.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 3:13 am

Saving an object from an attack isn't a reflex save, it mostly depends on the attack but since it was some kind of magical attack it was likely completly without a save, or, if the orb counts as magical, it would have been a save that the orb had to make itself. As for the dodging, well, we've rarely seen her fight or more correctly, have seen her get attacked. As for the skills you listed, Acrobatics isn't a skill in 3.5 and Balance seems to be just fine for her. Fly isn't a skill at all, by Stealth you likely mean Hide, which she kind of did shortly after she awakened as a Drinker, I think, though Vampires get a bonus to both Hide and Move Silently, so that's inconclusive. As for Ride, I think we've only seen Eridan and Tavros ride anything? In any case, I do agree that her Dex is likely not her best stat but I highly doubt that it'd be anywhere below average. As I said, something like 14 10 16 8 10 16 or maybe 16 10 14 8 10 16 might be reasonable in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:31 am

TheBookwormBakery wrote:
That kind of implies that intelligence is linked to the ability to use a computer...

He's definitely implied that before, I was there. Nothing surprising, unfortunately, but still quite disappointing.

OverlordJ wrote:
Back to Kanaya, hmm, I had forgotten about the computer scene, I admit that this hints at below average Int.

But I was hoping OJ wouldn't agree with that nonsense, to be honest.

Quote :
And while I agree that her Will save seems somewhat high, it could come from a feat like Iron Will or Force of Personality. I just feel that her early interactions with other characters show a difficulty with understanding other people. Falling for things like John pretending to be Rose, falling for Roses snark and her reaction to the scene when Vriska kisses Tavros, all seem to indicate that while she might be good at getting others to follow her lead, she is also easily lead on by others. This is a classic sign of a low Wisdom.

This, however, I agree with.

The order is str/dex/con/int/wis/cha, right? (That's how you ordered it in the OP, so I'm assuming that's the most common?) In that case, I definitely think she has more intelligence than wisdom. She's eloquent and values, even expects, intelligence in others (remember, again, the whole John pretending to be Rose thing) and those are signs of high intelligence that far outweigh struggling with one particular subject.

Also, "needing Sollux to show her how to use some of Trollians features, showing confusion at how the timeline for chats worked (when the others took it in stride) and throwing the F1 key from her own keyboard at Sollux' head."

The first one is a problem with computer skills, yes, but her confusion at the TIMEline is probably because her aspect is directly opposed to it, and how the hell is throwing the key a sign of sucking at computers?
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:54 am

Well, as we had said, the Intelligence stat doesn't really say how smart a person is, it says how good they are with learned knowledge. Please note that an 8 in intelligence isn't anything aweful, it just means she has a bit more trouble with learning new informations then others.

That said, I like your interpretation of the computer scene. While I am not a big fan of the "opposed aspects" theory, mostly because not all aspects pair up that nicely, I guess you could say that her asking for Sollux for help could be seen as an eagerness to help and I am unsure if Kanaya shows any sign of trouble with computers after that scene. If she does, then it would be a clear sign that she has trouble with learning, if she doesn't then she doesn't have trouble with it, obviously. Not knowing something isn't always a sign of low Int after all, a Barbarian with an Int of 18 is still unable to read (unless he spends 2 skill points on it).

Really, it can be tricky to make fitting skills for a character if you haven't seen enough about them. We certainly could use some more informations about her.

Oh and the F1 scene can be seen in different ways. Either she was being sassy and threw the key because she knew it was the help key and wanted to tell Sollux to help her, OR she knew it was the help key but didn't understand how it worked, so she ripped it out and threw it at Sollux, since she wanted his help and it was the help key.

And yes, it's Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha, that is usually the order in which stats are written down.

In fact, let me include a spoiler with more info about each stat.

Stats and what they mean:
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 3:57 pm

i think that spoiler would be more useful in the op if thats not qalready there

and i dont know shit about computers but i dont have a low int so i really dont think how she handles computers has anything to do with int

i didnt know f1 key was help key, she might have just picked it at random and chucked it at him, if im honest the top row would be easiest to pick, no way in hell im picking anythign that has a name (esc) so f1 would be the first key id try and take out if i was throwing a key at anyone

i honestly dont think she has a below average int at all, as shau said shes way too eloquent to have below average int, she rivals rose in all honesty

but yeh i agree int is higher then wis cause she def falls for stuff too easily to begin with

and as for my creator, no ive had no thoughts at all about them other then they exist and they are a gnome, hell i hadnt even given them a definite gender
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 4:05 pm

Eloquence falls under Charisma, it's a form of charm and personality, not knowledge.

STR is being able to crush a tomato.
DEX is being able to dodge a tomato.
CON is being able to eat a bad tomato.
INT is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
WIS is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.
CHA is being able to sell a tomato-based fruit salad.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 4:58 pm

A shorter version is already in the OP, under the topic "Parts of a Character" in the spoiler titles "Abilities, Ability Scores and Ability Modifiers".

I think the problem here is that you two assume that "Character with low Int" means the same as "Person with low intelligence". Think of it a bit similar to how in Homestuck you don't have to be passive, just because your class is a Passive class. High or low Int is more about learning then about intelligence.

Honestly, I think it's hard to tell whether or not her Int is high or low, simply because we don't get to see how she handles learning new information a lot. It's tricky in my opinion.

----------

Alright, so, I'd like for your creator to be a Wizard, since in order to be able to craft a Construct you must either be a 6th level Wizard or Artificer or a different caster on a probably even higher level. And for what I have planned, them being a Wizard would simply fit my plan better. Is that okay with you?
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 5:24 pm

"Eloquence falls under Charisma, it's a form of charm and personality, not knowledge."

... you kinda require knowledge to have an extensive enough vocabulary to talk like she does.

"High or low Int is more about learning then about intelligence."

... and yet, it still doesn't mean 'computer skills'. My argument still stands.

"Honestly, I think it's hard to tell whether or not her Int is high or low, simply because we don't get to see how she handles learning new information a lot."

So why not make it average, then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 5:33 pm

If you have high INT, you're innately better than average with technological devices.
If you have low INT, you're innately bad with them.

Now I doubt Kanaya has a specific penalty to interacting with technological devices, as that isn't even a skill, it's just an INT check.

Using the functions of a GUI-based chat client would be a DC 10 at most, which means an average roll or a take-10 would have solved it if she had average (10) INT, in other words she'd need an INT of at most 9 to fail at it enough to require help.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Shaula wrote:
... you kinda require knowledge to have an extensive enough vocabulary to talk like she does.

Kind of, but DnD is a bit weird when it comes to talking. In DnD, it's usually that you either can't speak a language at all, or you are as fluent as if it was your native tongue. "Talking fancy" isn't connected to any skill or stat. And again, it's more a sign of being intelligent, not of a high Int score.

As for "Computer skills", there isn't that level of technology in DnD but if there was I'd assume that "Computer skills" would fall under a kind of "Knowledge: Technology" skill or similar Int based skill. And as Mather said, the basic ability to use a simple programm would likely be a DC 10, which means that anyone without a penalty can just take 10 on their roll and be allways successful.

And as for her stats, feel free to suggest what you'd think would be fitting for her, I'd be curious to hear it.

Oh, and Mather, maybe she has a flaw or trait that makes her worse with computers, it could be possible.

----------

I've got some more questions about your creator, Silck. How well did your character know them?
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:45 pm

so wait we are basing our entirety of her int stat on her failing to do a chat client, smth that i failed at and asked help for both pesterchum and skype, and facebook, and yet here i am studying maths at university level and am predicted, as far as i can tell, for second/third grade from top

clearly my int is below average -.-

i like ojs idea of having a trait/flaw that drops tech know how rather then dumping her int based purely on a single thing cause thats dumb as fuck

--------

im guessing well enough since he was made by them? and im assuming trained by them until he was competent in moving and shit to actually learn how to fight? i kind of see their relationship like the douche and the friendly parent that knows they dont mean to be so douchey and shit? idk man sorry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Math is probably WIS, not INT, as it's about thinking, not knowing.
Back to top Go down
TheBookwormBakery

TheBookwormBakery

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:50 pm

There are different types of intelligence. Like, someone can be really smart when it comes to, say, botany and other biology/science-related things, but is absolutely shitty when it comes to knowing how emotions work.

Also, I have to disagree on math not really being about knowing. Math is at least as much about knowing the formulas as it is figuring out what to do with those formulas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:57 pm

Understanding emotions falls partially under WIS, partially under CHA.

INT is just when you look at something and know "This does that.", "This is weak to that." or "This is from that era." It's pure book knowledge.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 8:59 pm

which is like, 85% of maths
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Math: You can't use thinking to solve the problem if you don't use knowing to understand what the hell this collection of symbols even means.
Back to top Go down
TheBookwormBakery

TheBookwormBakery

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:09 pm

I was talking about IRL intelligence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:10 pm

No, 85% of maths is the application. It doesn't help if you know the formula if you can't compute it. Furthermore with INT, you would know that C=πd, but without WIS you couldn't transform it into d=C/π. And you'd need pretty good WIS to turn C=πd, d=2r and a=πr² into a=π(C/π/2)².
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:12 pm

but without int you wouldnt even know where to begin

you literally cannot math without int, it doesnt matter if u can turn c=dn to n=c/d if u dont know what c, n or d mean

also you wouldnt need to figure it out using wis cause its in hecking books that c=dn can turn into n=c/d causeits stuff u need to LEARN

which as you AND oj both said, is hecking INT BASED
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:21 pm

That's a pi, not n, the font is just fucking it up.

And yes, completely without INT you couldn't do it. But C=πd is common knowledge, probably a Knowledge(Engineering) check of DC 8 in modern society, with -10 penalty if you're untrained.
On the other hand the conversion would be a WIS check of DC 10, and DC 15 for the expanded one.

Also the training you gain in school gives you skill ranks in Knowledge, while only your innate WIS can help you with the thinking.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:23 pm

but were talking about studying high level maths at university, not just bumbling around in the wilds

in university you LEARN stuff, therefore it is an INT based thing

EDIT: also im reading through races of eberron for like the fifth time and im starting to think i need to change the cockiness and the love of battle for wanderer, considering it says most warforged have tired of war and battle and such........so either my creator is a bit of a dick and wanted to make warforged that never tired of war and just loved it

or maybe i rework him to stop being such a fighter?

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh warforged and warblade psychology dont match up well this is gonna be difficult
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:45 pm

My experience with math is that it's less "here's some formulas, turn them into something you could use for this problem" and more "here's some formulas, here's how they turn into something useful for this problem, now just learn the new formula instead of figuring it out every damn time"
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 9:53 pm

It's important to point out that, as always, the stat system isn't perfectly flawless, as it is normal for most people that learning one thing is easy for them while learning another is hard. From the way I "learned" latin in school one would think I'd have a huge Int penalty, yet learning things for math or the lyrics to poems or songs is so easy for me that I would need pretty good Int for that. As such it is true that just because Kanaya has trouble learning one thing doesn't neccessarily mean that she has trouble with learning in general. That said, I think we should stop this discussion about whether or not Math would be Int or Wis based, since it's getting out of hand.

Silck, did you decide how old you were? Because Gnomes can live for hundereds of years. Maybe your creator was already Middle Aged or Old, but the maximum age for Gnomes is between 203 and 500 years, so even if they were around 120 to 180 when they created you, searching for their tomb would be a bit hasty if you aren't at least about 250 years.
As for being tired of battle, I suppose it certainly depends on your personality. Not all Warforged are tired, some might even miss their days of fighting. Many races have tendencies but exceptions are certainly not unheard of, especially among adventurers. As I said, if you were very successful in the field but are now struggling with social interactions, enjoying the times in which you can return to the simplicity of battle would certainly not be out of line.
Maybe we should meet in the chat at some point to discuss this, but right now I sadly don't have time.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 10:02 pm

okie so u agree too that u shouldnt base int on one thing

so why the fuck are we basing it on one thing for kan?

and no i never figured out an age, and i did say family tomb so theres every chance the creator is still alive and wanderer has just been told to go there cause theres like a lich infestation or maybe some sort of secret prophecy passed down through the family or smth

and yeh i dont have the time either, ill hop on tomorrow and we can chat there
Back to top Go down
TheBookwormBakery

TheBookwormBakery

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 EmptySun Apr 12, 2015 11:27 pm

I think the gist is that things like intelligence work differently in D&D than they do irl.

Which is weird and counterintuitive, but still a thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next