NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread

Go down 
+9
OverlordJ
silckenSoul
uncertainHavoc
tekkenfreak4
Metafiction
Ralte
royalPawn
Sandstriker
JakeMorph
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 12:17 am

Indeed BB. Again, game terms can sometimes be confusing, whether it's a very active player with a Passive Class in Sburb or a smart guy with low low-ish Int in DnD.

As for Kanaya, I've said it before, it's tricky, because we don't really know enough about her to say it for sure. We are basing it on one thing because we don't really have a lot of other things to base it on. Heck, most of the stats are just speculations. The thing is that the computer interactions is more likely to point towards low Int then it is pointing towards high Int. But heck, it was a single occasion, for all we know she might have simply rolled a 1 on her dice and fucked it up because of that. Maybe her Str sucks and she just rolled a lot of Nat 20s when it came to Strength related rolls. But since we've seen her take a lot more Str based actions then Int based ones, it's more clear that her Str seems to be high. In the end it's all speculation though, so feel free to post some stats that you think would be fitting.

As for your creator, yeah, lets talk about that tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 12:47 am

In any case, you can only apply as much logic to a computer program as its designer put into it.

Though just to clear things up (and because I'm now worried I might have to rework my wizard to give him higher Wis), when you say Int is based in learning and memory, you don't mean literally just knowing stuff right? It's more about...coming to a solution via a set of rules you know to be true. While Wis is more about hunches and common sense without bothering with trivial details and needless explanations.

I would like to come up with an example to illustrate the difference but it's kind of late here so I'll just hope that makes sense.

(Also for riding, besides Tavros and Eridan, we've also seen Feferi ride a seapony and Gamzee rides a unicicle.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 12:55 am

Generally anything a wizard does will only ever require INT. They do work stuff out using the logic they learn, but that's why they're scholars who spend lots of time doing research and writing formulae, they aren't as good at doing it in their heads on the spot as say a Cleric, even though the Cleric tends to have less knowledge.

One very good example is looking at a Wizard vs a Druid in the wild. A Wizard can have a way higher Knowledge(Nature) and be just as focused on nature as the Druid, but the Druid would still be better at finding food and tending to plants because the Wizard spends more time thinking about how to do it.

If it's roleplaying that involves WIS, you can just pin the difference between RP and stats on whatever you call how you always feel smarter when talking about something than taking a test on it.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 1:36 am

One way it is often compared is that Int is about book smart while Wis is about street smart. Also, your character has average Wisdom and high Int, so it's not like his Wisdom is low or anything.

But yeah, defining exactly what one stat can or can't do is a bit tricky with the mental stats.

Maybe you could tell us a bit more about what you want your character to do that you now worry his Wis might be too low?
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 2:25 pm

Physically Kanaya is very strong. Using a chainsaw as a weapon is not an easy feat and her chainsaw looks heavy. Despite this she is pretty fast with it.
High STR is a given for her considering her feats like kicking Gamzee into the air and into the abyss, snatching the wwhite wwand of science from Eridans hand and breaking it.
She also could have the ability to turn into other beasts.
Human vampires can transform into bats and wolves. Rainbow drinkers could do something similar. Maybe. It would be cool in any case.

About reviving falling characters:
If it is not to hard in the beginning we should be able to find a way to revive dead party members before we encounter the larger challenges.

EDIT:

Sorry, I didn't notice we were on new pages.
Is the talk of Kanaya as a character in D&D still relevant?

Last edited by Ralte on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 2:57 pm

"As for Kanaya, I've said it before, it's tricky, because we don't really know enough about her to say it for sure. We are basing it on one thing because we don't really have a lot of other things to base it on."

Well, as I said, switch int and wis, since we've seen her screw up on wis a LOT more than once, so there's more evidence that she's got a low stat.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 4:05 pm

i agree with shau, int should be higher then wis
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 12:08 pm

While her behavior does indicate low Wis, a strong resistance to fear usually implies a high Wis, not only because of an implied high Will save but also because high Wisdom helps against Intimidation checks. Though I suppose she could have somehow become immune to fear or something.

As for reviving, that's going to be difficult. Actually reviving a dead character is very expensive at early levels. Simply put, chances are you won't actually revive anyone untill you hit level 5 or so. If a character dies before that, they will likely simply stay dead.

So yeah, try to not die, though if you do, you'll likely need a new character.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 1:27 pm

sent u a pm oj
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 4:14 pm

And I've just replied
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Well...
Did anyone consider Kanayas abilities as a dressmaker?

It could be a steady source of income for her.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 4:08 am

Mather included a "Craft(Clothing)" among her skills, so yes, it was considered. What does her income have to do with anything though?
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 11:33 am

hey oj heres an idea for an npc if u need one xD

EDIT: also oj i had posted this in roll20 but u havent shown up when im here so i figured id post it here too

Quote :
and my squad, since warforged tended to stick with their squads after the war, we'll need to make a reason why im not in the goup anymore, also gives me a good idea for running an all warforged dnd game xD
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 2:49 pm

One possible reason is simply that after about 200 years of war, most if not all of them might have been destroyed by now.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 3:06 pm

thats entirely plausible
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 11:42 pm

I managed to contact eZ and they still want to join. They are fixing their character sheet now and think about what to do with it. Once the sheet is fixed they plan to post here to discuss how they can fit into the group. However, from what we talked about so far, I think it would be perfect if Urmelena and eZs character, Kallistos, who is a Cleric, to already be in a team together. They have similar goals (fighting evil guys) though have different approaches (Kallistos is Chaotic Good) and I personally find the idea of a Lawful Good Drow Paladin and a Chaotic Good Half-Elf Cleric working together to fight evil guys to be a buddy cop movie waiting to happen. Plus, if Urmelena and Kallistos are already a team, Urmelena has an additional argument to convince the group to let them join.
Back to top Go down
TheBookwormBakery

TheBookwormBakery

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:58 am

oh my god they should totally have a buddy cop movie backstory that would be hilarious
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:10 am

i think we should wait for ralte to decide, but this makes a fair whack of sense and the buddy cop backstory is really good xD
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 11:29 am

Yeah, I like the idea too. I think Ral would approve as well, but yeah, waiting for him to respond.
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Who is eZ again?
Well, I like the idea. And I was the person who suggested getting a cleric in the first place.

So, yes but I want to talk with eZ about the backstory of our two characters in that regard personally.

And if it is like a buddy-cop thing I demand that every person who is retiring stays in a bunker until the retirement is complete.
Also my favourite buddy-cop-movie is "Ozzy & Drix".
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 5:33 pm

we all starting our careers except math and hes already retired so hes like immortal now by buddy cop movie rules, but the buddy cop movie only effects u and ez cause u r the buddy cops
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Hello 'vrybody! Sorry I've kind of ignored the topic for a long while. I had to read some good 22 pages of backlog in order to catch up but I'm here now. And I'll keep my eyes open.

So! Let's see. First off, I guess I'll dump Kallistos' sheet here. Have a read. It still has some stuff missing/wrong/that will be changed (most importantly, Pelor vs Corellon Larethian, still have to choose), so yeah, it's WIP. Just fyi.

As for Kallistos' backstory, Ralte, it's at the bottom of the sheet (you can also find his personality and physical description, which you should read), but I'll copypaste it for you under a spoiler. It's still quite subject to change, as well. Possibly major changes.
Kal's BG:

As for the buddy-cop plan, what can I say, I love it. I guess we'll have to plan how they become such, though, right? And then all of Kal's clerical services are yours. The urgent need to take refuge into a bunker is also yours.
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 pm

Sounds good I like kal, although be warned I will treat u as a human cause wanderer can't tell the difference between halforcs and humans let alone half elves and humans xD
Back to top Go down
Ralte

Ralte

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:56 pm

Hello Eunomic Zenith.
How are you?
I may be your partner… Well, our characters will be partners in any case.
I think she would accept somebody who killed a bastard of a father eventually.
But what about his mother?
Did Kallistos leave her behind without nothing?
Also it seems likely for me that those criminals from that organisation may emerge for some revenge.

Anyhow:
Yes, both can be partners. Urmelena is probably not so disillusioned by the law because she knows how to work with it. She would be at odds with him over some things but she would accept it, especially if it revolves around stopping slavers.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Exactly, two good people, fighting for good, and while they don't always agree on the methodes, they ultimately work together. Buddy cop movie.

Also, I am talking with eZ and some stats and stuff are being changed around because eZ decided to focus on melee for Kallistos. So Kallistos will probably mainly focus on buff spells with some healing if needed. Oh, and Kallistos is a Cleric of Corellon Larethian, the god of the Elves, instead of Pelor now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread   The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread - Page 39 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Nightfall DnD Preparation Thread
Page 39 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next