NightNight Crew Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NightNight Crew Forums

A forum for the NightNight Crew roleplay.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings

Go down 
+3
OverlordJ
Shaula
silckenSoul
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
royalPawn

royalPawn

mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 11:47 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

good update

good frikkin update

everything is great

everyone is happy, characters and readers alike

I think I can deal with the omegapause now.

:')
Back to top Go down
silckenSoul

silckenSoul

PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 1:09 pm

yeah im happy to go through the omegapause with that upd8
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 4:30 pm

Are you aware that the update implied if not outright stated that even if you are revived via kiss or via godtiering, you still leave behind a ghost, which, in turn, implies that all those times someone got "revived" they actually died and another version of them just took over?

It's basically the teleporter dilemma all over again.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Yes I did. Or rather, I noticed something was off, especially with John on his quest bed, but I assumed I missed or forgot something until I saw your post on Nightfall.

Not really sure what to say or how I feel about that. It's kind of a hard concept to wrap your head around.

Also if they do make a teleporter like that I would probably just have myself be 'recreated' without destroying the 'original' because a) getting all my atoms destroyed sounds unpleasant no matter what happens afterward and b) why the hell wouldn't I want two (or more!) me's?
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 pm

OverlordJ wrote:
Are you aware that the update implied if not outright stated that even if you are revived via kiss or via godtiering, you still leave behind a ghost, which, in turn, implies that all those times someone got "revived" they actually died and another version of them just took over?

Yes

Currently processing the information

This may take a while as it is a drastic change in the way I think of Homestuck mechanics

And as for the actual teleporter situation: I would not use it. As Homestuck's shown, multiple selves don't exactly get along all the time.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 3:18 am

Allow me to elaborate:

The teleporter dilemma:

Also, besides John on the slab, we also saw a couple of people that got revived via kiss that left behind ghosts, like the decapitated Dirk for example.
Back to top Go down
royalPawn

royalPawn

PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 11:45 am

...Dang. Like a proper little sociopath I hadn't even considered relationships in this scenario. I guess my 'solution' is out of the door now.
I...don't know what I'd do to be honest. This whole thing (like every proper philosophical debate) raises so many questions that just don't have an answer.

What about the afterlife for instance? Does every version of me have a soul? If so, how do sins carry over between versions? If not, why is the version of me that does (probably either the first or the last instance) more valid that the other?

If we're including the doubles things get even more complicated.

What about crimes? If one version of me commits murder, should all me's be arrested, or only some of them? You could reasonably claim all doubles created after the murder are guilty, but what about the doubles created shortly before?

If I have a debt open (financial or a personal favor) and use a teleporter to make a double, are both versions responsible to repay it? Could one demand repayment from a version that had nothing to do with it?

If someone were to start a romantic relationship with one me, could they also be friends with another version? Would it be ethical to romance multiple instances? (Let's not go into detail on that one.)

Now I'm kind of glad teleporters aren't a thing yet. Imagine reading about the teleporter dilemma five minutes after using one.
Back to top Go down
Shaula

Shaula

PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 2:46 pm

royalPawn wrote:
What about the afterlife for instance? Does every version of me have a soul? If so, how do sins carry over between versions? If not, why is the version of me that does (probably either the first or the last instance) more valid that the other?

What if shared soul? Just a possibility.
Back to top Go down
OverlordJ
God of AFK
God of AFK
OverlordJ

PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 29, 2015 6:48 pm

You forgot one obvious example, the one that played a big role in getting the teleporter argument started:

In media, the teleporters are often used to escape a dangerous situation.

1) If the original gets destroyed, doesn't that basically mean you killed yourself in order to escape death?

2) Even worse, if the original isn't destroyed, would you still chose to use the teleporter, knowing that you yourself will still face the dangerous situation (and usually death) but that an alternative version of you will think they've escaped and will live your life in your place, no matter what happens to you?

And yeah, questions like "Is the new you still responsible for the things you did, seeing as they technically didn't do them but still remember having done them?" and "How long after the teleportation does the new you count as a seperate person from the old you?"

Don't read this is you are afraid of existential questions:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings   mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

mspa upd8 conversation place major spoiler warnings
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6